I never imagined that I would get a letter from “Indian Air force” stating that I cleared written exam, and I need to travel to Varanasi to have further tests in the air force campus for five days. If I get through those tests, then I could be part of IAF. Indeed What I did during those five days? Why I became a software engineer rather than IAF officer ?.
During the final year of engineering, I was seeking several possible options to get a job immediately after my college. I wrote bank PO exam, appeared railway recruitment test. I also attempted DRDO exam. Like these after several attempts, I realized it was not an easy job to get a government job. So gradually I lost interest and started concentrating on GATE.
One day my friend showed me the announcement from IAF in the newspaper. They were looking for dynamic final or just completed graduates from engineering for IAF officer position. First I didn’t show the interest, but because of my friend. I applied it. We both got a letter asking to appear written test in the city. I thought that was waste of money going to the city to appear for the test. I told the same thing to my friend. He didn’t agree. He forced me, after some fight I decided to go just to check my luck.
We reached the test center. There were around 200 students attended the test. They had asked all general science questions and some simple math questions. I had a habit of reading science related magazines, so I felt all those science related questions are familiar and answered them well. Fortunately those organizers told they were going to announce the results there itself. I was not much interested about the result. Due to my previous experiences, I had an opinion that, these government exams are just a joke. I was thinking that people are pre-selected. Whatever the exams or interviews they conduct are just for name sake. I told the same thing to my friend. But he had some hope. We waited until evening. Finally, they had announced the results. Totally 50 people they had selected among 200 people. The irony here was I got selected, and my friend was not able to make out. I was surprised. I didn’t believe. Somewhere inside slowly I started developing hope that I might get placed in IAF.
My friend was very upset. I condolence him and said this is just written exam, there is a lot ahead in your life to achieve. Whatever I said, he could not come back to normal. He looked normal outside, but I know he felt heartbroken. The organizers said that all selected candidates are required to come to IAF campus in Varanasi. In that campus, they will conduct few more tests, and after that, they would select the final candidates. They will provide the second class train ticket from our place to Varanasi. They will send the full details in a letter, in two weeks of time. I told to my friend; “See there are many tests after this. I’ll defiantly fail in one of that, so it doesn’t make difference failing here or in Varanasi”. My friend was still not convinced. We returned home.
I didn’t tell this to my parents straight away. I was waiting for the letter from Air force. Two weeks over, but I didn’t receive any letter. One more week was also over, no letter. I told to myself; it was all fraud, so no needs to bother much. After one month, they had sent the letter. I see AirForce symbol on the envelope. That was totally unexpected. I didn’t imagine that. In that envelope, they had given letter saying “Congratulations for clearing the exam, please come to Varanasi for further tests”. They had also given address and second class train ticket. I told about this in my home. It was like a festival at my home because of the name IAF officer. My mother, father and other relatives, behaved as If I already got the job. I told them clearly that I just passed the written exam still lot of tests I have to clear. But still they were happy. There is also one more reason for their happiness; I’m traveling to Varanasi, which is a famous spiritual place in India. Every Indian wants to visit that place at least once before they die. I got an opportunity to visit that place so soon. In fact, I have not traveled to the north side of the country before, so that was the first time.
The travel date arrived. My mother & father, some other relatives, came to the railway station to give send off. When train started, I saw tears in my mother eyes. She was worried that first time I was going such a long distance alone.
I reached the place after few days of journey. I can’t speak much Hindi. Somehow I managed to get the taxi and reached air force campus. I showed my invitation letter at the gate, and then they allowed taxi to enter inside. I thought the premises would be some think like a college. But I wondered by seeing actual thing. Inside it was like a mini town, so many houses. All houses are for air force employees to stay with their families. I got down at the main office. By that time, there were other students at that place. It was given strictly in the letter that I must report at 8.00AM. I reached the campus around 7:30AM, and felt I was too early. But I understood I was wrong after seeing all those students, who came much before me.
Exactly 8:00AM, one officer came from office and said “Good morning! Gentleman”. We all said good morning. He asked us to stand in a line, there were totally 60 students. We formed 6 lines, 10 in each. He introduced himself, and said he was going to be in charge for our team. He congratulated all of us on clearing the exam, and told that during our stay here, we would be going through the some series of tests. Tests would be physical and mental. There would be a possible of injuries. Tests would start from morning 4:00AM to evening 3:00PM. After 3:00PM we are allowed to go outside to see the city. Every day we should report to him, morning sharp at 4:00AM. He also said we need to sign on a paper, saying we are all willing to give the physical tests and, IAF is not responsible for deaths or any major injuries.
I was blindly listening. Thinking about physical tests, that to starting from morning 4:00AM. I never woke up before 7:00AM except during exams. I thought let me see what kind of physical tests they would conduct. They gave badges to all of us. Numbers from one to sixty was written on that. They also gave 2 pairs of shorts and white t-shirts. Our In charge told us, we should wear this during our first 4 days of training. In final day, we should be with formal dress. He said, “Today is your first day, so spend your time to roam our place. We have plenty of shops inside this campus, if you would like to shop you can do it. There are also paid phones; you can talk to your parents. Tests would start from tomorrow”. Finally, he shouted, “Dismiss” and went away. Some other air force officer came and took us to show the campus, we were standing in a line and seeing all the places. He was explaining that; all Air Force families live there; they get all grocery, wine, electronics with subsidiary prices. After seeing all those shops and houses, I was thinking how lucky to be an air force officer (Later I changed this opinion). They have a loyal life there. Few students bought some items as the price was very less. Some talked over the phone. I also called my parents and informed them, that I reached the place safely. Mostly the students were from north India, luckily I got an Andhra guy in that group. I introduced myself to him. He was also looking desperate about someone to talk all these things. We had a long chat. That day they didn’t allow us to go out of that campus, so we spend the whole day roaming inside campus.
In the night, they showed us the place where we need to sleep. It was a big hall; a separate cot is provided to everyone. Bath rooms are common to all of us. We left our luggage at our place in cot. I noticed there were already few groups in the campus, who were taking the tests. During dinner time, they had prepared several items, like Naans, chicken, mutton, vegetable curries etc. I was surprised the way they were treating us. I liked that food very much. I didn’t know that time; there would be a lot of physical activity we would be doing at the time of test, so this sort of food indeed required every day. They also showed movie “Top Gun” in another big hall. I and other friend were thinking this place was no nice. After some time, our in charge guy came to that room, asked “How is the food Gentleman?” We all yelled and said “Excellent”. He told us, we need to report him at the office exactly 4:00AM tomorrow and he left. After watching the movie, we went to sleep. Before sleeping, I asked my friend to wake me up in the morning before 4:00AM. I had insisted him not to forget. He said OK. Due to a long journey, I was tired, so I slept immediately.
Did my friend stood on his word?
My real five days journey starts from next day.
To be continued …
i am eagerly waiting for what is the next
ReplyDeleteIam. Waiting for nextday story
ReplyDelete