Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Five Days in IAF - Final

Second Day:

Things started normally in the next day. I was not feeling that much cold when taking a shower in the morning with cold water. May be within one day, I got used to it. I did some stretching exercises, just as a warm up for my physical test that day.

I continued to be part of that small team. My in charge officer told that what we had to do in that day. He took us to the ground. In the ground, there were several hurdles as like in military training. Each hurdle has a different characteristic. One is like a rope from one point to the other, where one has to crawl on the rope like a monkey. Another is like, one has to climb up to hill point and jump from there, etc. In charge officer told that we need to begin from starting hurdle, and finish all hurdles in a specific time. When we are using some hurdles like crawling on rope, we should not put our leg down.

After seeing all those things, I thought, oh my God, can I do it. I know about my capacity, may be hardly one or two I can do with perfection, rest all extreme difficult. Along with in charge officer some other officers came to examine us. We were 6 teams, at a time only one team allowed to do it.

In charge officer asked us to start. First that tall guy in our team started. First hurdle was a cake walk for him, and then next and next. He finished all hurdles with in less time. My turn came, I finished first one, which was considerably easy and second one also finished with bit difficulty. Then I started crawling rope, able to reach up to mid of the rope, then looked where I was, still half of the rope remained. I felt like lost the energy. I thought cannot complete it. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, tighten my grip on the rope. I decided not to lose my confidence. Then started again and completed it. I felt pretty happy. I took rest for some time before going to the next hurdle. At last, I finished all without giving up.

After this test, my body was paining like anything. I sat on the bench. My heart was beating so fast. I did not understand why they were conducting this kind of tests. I was observing, how other teams were performing. Few fell down from the rope. Few had a scratch on their hands. Few gave up and said, they could not do it. Officers were noting all those things.

Until mid of the day, those tests continued. In the afternoon, everyone went to launch. Some people were saying, we may need to do this kind of exercises every day, if we join IAF. I was thinking, if that is the case, I cannot join.

After 3:00PM, I and my friend went to see Varanasi temple. We saw Ghats and Ganga River. The temple was in unusually narrow area. It was bit hard to see it clearly. After roaming that area for some time, we went back to IAF campus.

Third Day:

We were ready at the ground for in charge officer instructions. He told that they were going to see how we perform in groups. They will provide some load to each team. Each team should carry that load from one point to another point through some hurdles.

He took us to the same place where we went yesterday. After seeing that place, I thought, Oh! Not Again.

Before our team, few other teams performed that test. Our turn came, as usual, the tall guy in our team declared himself as captain, and said he would coordinate to finish the task. Everyone agreed. With great difficulty, after so much debate, arguments, yelling, we could able to finish the task. Leader guy went and reported in charge officer that we had done. I personally felt that I did not mingle well in the team.

In the canteen, I told to my friend that tall guy in our team would defiantly pass all the tests.

Evening we went out to see the city. That day I purchased a sari for my sister and mother also bought few other items.

In the evening, while we were having dinner. In-charge officer came and told that no more physical tests and tomorrow only personal interview, so everyone have to come with formal dress. Interview starts from 9:00AM. I surprised as I was thinking that interview is on the final day.

Fourth Day:

I was in the interview room. The interviewer was an old man. He asked me to sit in a chair, that chair located a bit far from where interviewer was sitting. In that way, he can observe my body language clearly. He asked so many questions like why I liked to part of IAF, What is my aim in life etc. I answered all questions confidently. While answering, he was observing how I was behaving. In certain moments, felt uncomfortable. At last, completed interview with total satisfaction.

During launch time, we discussed what questions they had asked in the interview. I told my answers. My friend was saying, for questions like “What is your aim in life?”, Few people answered as “IAF is their aim”. I was thinking, why I did not answer like that. I answered all questions frankly and no hypocrisy in those answers.

Fifth Day:

That day was our final day. We started taking email ids of all our friends. Few people felt intensely emotional. I saw tears in few people eyes. Many became close friends during this trip.

That day was a conference day, and followed by a meeting, and results announcement. I entered into the conference room. Inside many top guys were sitting at a semi round table. A gray hair officer was sitting in the middle. He asked me to sit in a chair. I sat in that chair. He asked about my experience during those days in IAF campus. I praised IAF for providing such a marvelous hospitality to all of us. He asked if I can give any suggestions to improve. I said no. Then he said, “Good Luck” and asked me to leave.

After this conference, they had asked us to assemble in a hall. There was a big stage in that hall. Every one so tensed thinking who would select to IAF. I saw many were closing their eyes and praying god. I know for many, it was a desperate situation to get the job in IAF. Few people had come second and third time to IAF to check their luck.

In charge officer, the gray hair officer and few other officers came to the hall and entered into stage. Most of them gave a speech on different topics like how IAF started, how present India is depending on young talent like us.

Everyone was waiting for final speech, in which they will announce who had selected.

Finally, that time came. Grey hair officer took the mike. He said, “Everyone in this team has done a fantastic job. You can reach many heights in your career, if you show same dedication in your daily life. Do not worry about the result. You put your best effort in your work and success will come automatically. If something goes wrong. Do not get disappointed”.

He took few seconds break, and then continued his speech.

“I’m sorry to say that we are not able to disclose the results at this point of time. We will send letters to individuals who are short listed. I wish you all the best and good luck in your life”.

He finished his speech.

Lot of us did not understand what he was saying for a moment as we were expecting results in that meeting. After a while, everyone clapped. I did not see any disappointment in any ones face. It was acceptable that they did not announce the results in that hall, which would result smiley faces on few people and sad faces on plenty of people.

I took email ids of all guys on the back side of group photo. I took phone number of my friend. It was not like five days. It was like a year. We had experienced so many things during that time. We were not able to digest the fact, that there are no more tests from tomorrow onwards. Many were crying while leaving IAF campus.

I also left the campus with the same emotion. While leaving, I could sense my eyes filled with tears.

I reached my place and told what happened in IAF to my friends and parents. Many congratulated me as I would get a job soon in IAF. I waited for the letter from IAF for nearly a year. I did not get any response. We all formed a group in mails and were checking with others, if any would have gotten it. None of us had got any response.

Only God and IAF officers would know why none of us got letters.

1 comment:

  1. I did nt expect end of this story. I expect as usual. very good

    ReplyDelete